Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Food Week! Day 2


Today is a dish that will blow your mind. AND it’s vegan! Yum. It is what is on the menu tonight in the Vega household!

Cavatappi with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Cannellini Beans

Sounds strange right? Well I found the recipe via Amateur Gourmet, where this guy Adam writes lots of fun things about food, usually makes me really hungry in the process as well. I have read his blog for about 2 months and he has mentioned this recipe about 4 times. So according to him I had to try it.

Warning side story: We have digital channels now and daily we watch public television CREATE channel, which usually has cooking shows, gardening, home improvement, and crafting. My favorite show for it pure kitch value is Lydia’s Italy…(Lydia Ok look at her hair I mean come on!) But she is seriously like the Italian grandmother I never had…but really she make delightful Italian food and drinks LOTS of wine. This recipe is originally from her and it is so good! The other day she made some sauce thing with chicken parts and I was sooooo hungry. I told Luis she is the only person that has ever made me hungry for chicken organs…END Side Story





Ingredients:
Cavatappi Pasta (Which West Saint Paul never has so I use any pasta I have.)
Olive Oil
4 cloves of garlic sliced
Red pepper flakes
1 Jar Sun Dried Tomato sliced into strips (I used regular tomato once and it tasted different but still good!)
Pasta water
1 lb of Cannellini beans
Salt
Parsley
Parmesan Cheese

Boil Pasta 1 min less than the box suggests. In a LARGE skillet over medium add olive oil and oil from sun dried tomatoes. Add the garlic and cook for a few min and add red pepper flakes to your taste (We added extra to accommodate Luis’s need for spice) After every things is jiving (about a min or so) Put in your cut up tomatoes. Heat though and add about a cup of pasta water. Reduce in half and add beans with some salt and pasta water to almost cover the beans. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for about 4 min. (Basically reduce it some more) Add your pasta and cook though (about a minute) Take you skillet off the heat and add parmesan (I used a vegan version of parmesan) and parsley.

I served this dish with a fresh salad and gelato for dessert. Although the flavor is not as strong with regular tomatoes it is a nice poor man version to the dish. Luis likes it and I do too. Matias seriously LOVES it. It nice to have a baby with refined tastes. Yesterday he ate Salmon people!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment